Lucian Freud, the pre-eminent portraiture and figural artist of his time, passed away yesterday. The British artist’s works were noted for their psychologically piercing nature and their studied commentary on the relationship between model and artist. He was a provocateur.
- The New York Times: Lucian Freud, Figurative Painter Who Redefined Portraiture, Is Dead at 88
- The New York Times: The Artist as Provocateur, Set in His Ways
- Los Angeles Times: British painter Lucian Freud dies at 88
- Los Angeles Times: Culture Monster: Remembering artist Lucian Freud
- The Telegraph: Lucian Freud, the foremost figurative artist of his generation, dies aged 88
- The Telegraph: My 130 hours sitting for Lucian Freud
(Above: Reflection (self portrait) 1985; Oil on canvas, 56.2 x 51.2 cm; Private collection)